Choosing a belt to wear with jeans can be tough. That’s why we’ve written the web’s most thorough guide to selecting a casual leather belt to wear with your jeans that looks good, lasts for a long time, and uses high quality leather.
If you’re reading this, you’re probably searching for a reliable, versatile belt that looks good with denim. Whether you need to replace a new belt or just need to buy one to wear with your favorite jeans, our guide will help you learn what to look for in a belt and share our recommendations for the best men’s belts to wear with jeans.
Before we share our belt reviews and recommendations, here are the three things we recommend you look for in a belt for jeans:
If there’s one rule of belts to remember, it’s this: the wider the belt, the more casual it is. Belts for jeans are usually about one-and-a-half inches wide, or 3.9 centimeters.
A formal dress belt, on the other hand, is normally about one-and-a-quarter inches in height, or 3.4 centimeters.
This is important, because a narrow belt looks too formal to wear with jeans, and it can stand out. If you’re searching for a belt to wear with jeans, pick one that’s at least 3.5cm in width.
Width matters, because if you wear your belt quite tight, a thin belt will eventually begin to pull on the belt loops on your jeans, causing it to lose its shape.
All of the belts we recommend are the right width for wearing with jeans: 1 1/2 inches.
#2: Full Grain Leather
There’s more to buying a belt than just buying one that’s “genuine leather.” This is because leather comes in several different grades of quality:
- Full grain leather is the highest quality leather. This leather is the outer layer of the cow hide, and as a result it has the most natural appearance. Full grain leather ages the best, which means your belt will look great for years, instead of just for the first few times you wear it.
- Corrected grain leather is a mid quality leather. This type of leather comes from underneath the top layer of the cow hide. An artificial grain is applied to the leather. Corrected grain leather looks good when it’s brand new, but it ages badly and creases when you wear it. Not recommended.
- “Genuine leather” is a catch-all term for any kind of leather that’s made at least partly from cowhide. Normally if a brand is advertised only as “genuine leather” without mentioning if it’s full grain, it’s worth avoiding.
All of the belts we recommend are made from full grain leather, which means they’ll age beautifully over time and last for many years of use.
Finally, it’s important to choose a belt in the right color. The only rule to remember here is simple: choose a belt that matches the color of your shoes. If you normally wear black leather shoes, choose a black leather belt. If you wear brown leather shoes, choose a brown leather belt. Easy!
Before we go into more detail on our recommendations, there’s one more thing to remember when buying a belt to wear with jeans: Don’t choose the cheapest belt you can find.
There are lots of belts available from fast fashion outlets for $15 or other such low prices. These belts look alright when they’re new, but because they’re usually made from fake or low quality leather, they wear out quickly. In general, you should expect to spend at least $30 for a belt that will last for years.
As always, the old saying “you get what you pay for” is true, and cheap belts will usually start to fall apart, stretch, crease or crack after just a few months of use. A small increase in budget gets you much better leather and a more solidly made buckle, which means your belt will last for years instead of just a few months.
The best men’s belt for jeans for under $50:
Our recommendation for the best men’s belt for jeans under $50 is the Heepliday Men’s Soft Leather 15006 Belt. It’s available on Amazon for about $30, and delivers some serious value at a low price point:
- It’s made from smooth, soft, top grain leather. Since it’s made from real, top grain leather, there’s a natural leather texture to the belt and it ages beautifully over time with no cracking or tearing.
- It’s 1.5″ wide (3.8 centimeters), which is the perfect width for a belt to wear with jeans.
- It’s available in a huge range of colors, from regular tan leather, black leather and dark brown to orange, and comes with silver or gold colored buckles.
- The buckle is 2.8 inches long and 2 inches wide, which makes it a mid-sized buckle that’s not too big or too small. This is a versatile belt that works with just about any pair of jeans.
- Based on our own reviews and feedback from users, the Heepliday belt wears comfortably, doesn’t stretch over time like cheap leather belts, and packs a lot of value into the $30 price point.
The best men’s belt for jeans for under $100:
Our recommendation for the best men’s belt for jeans under $100 is the Hanks Jean Belt – 1.5″ Men’s Leather Belt. It’s available on Amazon for about $40, is made in the USA, and has a 100+ year warranty.
This belt is the same width and thickness as the Heepliday belt recommended above. The biggest difference is the leather. While the Heepliday belt uses good quality top grain leather, the Hanks Jean Belt uses premium leather that feels a little softer and smoother.
It’s not a huge difference, but if you’re looking for a premium belt and don’t mind paying a little bit extra, the Hanks Jean Belt belt is a nice upgrade. It comes Crazy Horse Leather, which has a great vintage look that sets this belt apart from most others.